Friday 2 November 2012

Behind you!

Beware of witches, ghosts, boggerts and other nasties in Ennerdale! On Halloween three plucky staff and two volunteers braved the weather and anything else that might be about to attack them to undertake a spooky story walk in Wild Ennerdale.


Thirty adults and children made witches' broomsticks, (thanks to the rangers' team for providing the necessary birch brash) carved pumpkins and heard stories about the supernatural happenings of the area. Despite the seasonal weather with a special Halloween severe weather warning, everyone enjoyed themselves and rated the event a great success.

Earlier in the year I had  attended a story-telling workshop. (See my post for 3rd of April)  I was therefore really pleased to get a chance to try my new skills out on some people other than the family! This was my first attempt to 'perform' to an audience of strangers but I found it very enjoyable. I used one well known story (the Claife Crier) , one which I had develped myself from a reference in a  Lake District guide book to a ghostly pony with a coffin tied to its back which can be seen on one of the coffin paths, and one which I cheekily re-located from Cornwall.

No comments:

Post a Comment